My amazing family.

My amazing family.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Daily Struggles

Ever noticed how much of a "right-handed" world we live in? Me either. Until I became left-handed. Here's the story. 

I don't really know the story. 

I've had wrist pain for a while now (like, 2 years or so). I didn't do anything about it because I sort of have a history of being a hypochondriac. In November it got to the point where it hurt to play the piano. Which is not okay in my book. 

I made an appointment with the Student Health Center on campus, where I saw a doctor who told me my wrist pain was stemming from my neck and back pain from a car accident 5 years ago. That didn't really seem logical, but I went with it. I went in a couple weeks later and did something called Spinal Reflex Analysis. This process gave me temporary relief. Less than a week later I was having pain again. I made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon back home. She didn't really give me many answers. She gave me a brace to wear for 2 months and put me on anti-inflammatory pills to "chemically fix the problem." That was the beginning of January and the pain is not getting better. 

Now I'm at the point where it hurts to do simple things with my right hand. Things like push buttons on a microwave, open a door, eat and, oh yeah-write! 

I'm currently teaching myself to be ambidextrous. I write almost everything with my left hand, unless I need to write something down quickly. The handwriting is legible, and has improved since I first started. 

I quickly realized in this endeavor that most things in this world are more made for right-handed people--which was fine with me when I was right-handed. Now it's just frustrates me. 

Also, it's really awkward to go in for a handshake with your left hand. 

So now I impatiently await spring break when I get to make another lovely trip to the doctor. Hopefully I can get some answers and get back to playing the piano for pleasure! Until then, I will continue the suffer the daily struggles of being a lefty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment