My amazing family.

My amazing family.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

RELAY FOR LIFE 2012

Best night EVER. Seriously. I dedicated each hour to someone I know personally that has had cancer. Here they are: 


6-7pm: My family. Grandma Dorothy, Grandpa Lester, Grandma Esther, Aunt Zeta, Uncle Leonard, Uncle Gene, Uncle Roger, Uncle Earl, Uncle Marvin, Uncle Vernon, Uncle Ron, Aunt Jan, and cousin Veronica.  


7-8pm: Bill Wingender. My brother-in-law Chris's grandpa. He is currently battling lung cancer. 


8-9pm: Terry Daisy. He is my best friend (Mollie)'s grandpa still in his battle against cancer. 

9-10pm: Mike Brennan and Deb Brennan. Two members of my hometown community. I've known these people since I was young and in swim team with their daughter, Kenzie. Mike lost his battle to lung cancer about 6 years ago and Deb is currently battling colon cancer


10-11pm: Bill Collins. His grandson, Christopher was in my high school graduating class and also went to church with me. 

11pm-12am: Members of my community who have battled breast cancer: Chris Sedlacek, Jill Dawson, Sara Staver, Jean Prescott, and Jane McCurdy. 

12-1am: Jacy McAlexander. Jacy is a young boy from my hometown community who courageously battled cancer and beat it! 

1-2am: Don Wintz: Mr. Wintz was my middle school math teacher who battled cancer for 17 years. 

2-3am: Ralph and Karen Kraft: Ralph was a co-worker of my dad's who recently lost his battle with cancer. His wife, Karen, won her battle against breast cancer. 

3-4am: Gayle Johnson: Gayle is like a second mother to me. We go to church together and sing in the choir for Christmas and Easter. 

4-5am: Deb Brown: Deb is my brother-in-law's mother (or my sister's mother-in-law). She always graciously welcomes us to her house on the lake in Okoboji. She's also a pretty great Nana to my nephews, Kaden and Connor. 

5-6am: The final hour was for Pat Minnick. I can't really explain to anyone the relationship I had with Pat, but I can say that he inspired me a great deal. He had the biggest heart of anyone I've ever met, and it was a tragic day in the town of Rockwell City when he lost his battle with cancer. 

Those 12 hours were AMAZING. There was so much emotion and passion in the McLeod center that I couldn't even fathom it. I cried at the Survivors' lap because I remember the many times I pushed my grandmother in her wheelchair at the Relay For Life of Calhoun County for the survivors' lap. I miss my grandma SO MUCH. She is the reason I am so passionate about Relay. <3 

Overall we raised  $102,513.41.  We had over 1,000 participants.  We had 104 teams.  

We reached all of our goals, and got so much more than that out of the night. I can't wait until next year! 

Everyone on the committees took a picture before the event started: 


And some other pictures from the night :) 
Fundraising Committee! 
Brady and Emily (co-presidents) and Amanda (Vice President)
Luminaria <3 

Team Picture! Pink Ladies :) 
Some mustache fun :) 
Brady! The MC. (and also my future husband) Kidding! :)
(long story) 
:) 
WAHOO!!!! 
Emily's victory dance :) 
A little post-Relay grub at J's Homestlye Cookin' :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment